Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Group Differences Forum

The group differences forum was very interesting. I thought it was a great way to get a good understanding of  many topics. It was very beneficial, and it made me consider some things that I hadn't before. 

One thing that I learned from this discussion that I didn't previously know is that some people consider Asian Americans the model minority. I had never heard this term before, but I can definitely see how stereotypes could lead to this association. While discussing this, the point was brought up that this idea of the model minority puts average and low achieving students at a disadvantage. Even though teachers may not realize, they may have higher expectations for their Asian students which makes it more difficult for low achieving Asian students to live up to the teacher's expectations and sets them up for failure. 

One thing that has been discussed in various classes and reinforced through this discussion is to never make assumptions about students. I think this is one of the most valuable pieces of advice that I can take to my classroom. Whether it's assuming a child's strengths and weaknesses by looking at an IEP, assuming a child's religion based on where they're from, or assuming a student's culture or language based on skin color, it's never a good idea to make assumptions. Each child is unique and comes with different ideas, beliefs, abilities, and cultures, and making assumptions can hinder a child from reaching their full potential.

This group differences forum was very beneficial, and I enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment